Tuesday, March 02, 2010

It isn't fair!




One of the things I've noticed most keenly about raising gifted children is their strong sense of justice, or injustices as the case may be! It might be related to the social injustices they see around them, their feelings about how animals are treated, or even how they feel about the way they are disciplined. Their heightened sensitivity combined with their high intelligence allows for some strong feelings about the world around them. I've probably been most aware of this in my extrovert child. Her emotions come blazing out in a fury when she sees something she thinks isn't fair. Here are a few suggestions to help you weather the storm.




  • Understand that their feelings are very real to them, no matter how petty it may seem to you as an adult.


  • Take the time to openly discuss what they are feeling.


  • Encourage them to come up with creative solutions to problems that bother them.


I've seen parents channel their children's energy in this area so well, that they raise some awesome, world-changing children. These are the types kids you see collecting food or clothes for the homeless or organizing something for the local animal shelter.



On the topic of parenting, don't be afraid to say your sorry if they call you on something. As a parent, I fail all the time. After all, we are only human, and it's not like they come with instructions! When my children point out something they don't think I've been fair about, I take the time to discuss it with them, and if an apology is necessary, then I say I'm sorry. Never underestimate the power of a good example!



No comments: