Wednesday, March 18, 2009

The power of an apology


Let's face it. Sometime you just blow it, as a parent. I know I have. You have those days when everything goes wrong and you just lose you patience. You speak sharper than you meant to. Or maybe it's a moment where you are just too busy and don't stop to truly listen to what your child is saying to you. I honestly believe that when we "blow it", it can still be turned into a wonderful learning experience for everyone involved if handled correctly.

What's the biggest thing I've learned in those moments? Don't be afraid to admit your mistake and say your sorry. I won't say that it's easy. After all, we're the parent! It's hard to humble yourself from that position, but there is something so powerful about saying that to your child. It not only teaches them that even parents make mistakes, but it also leads them by example that it's good to say "I'm sorry." It opens up the lines of communication again. Talk about what happened and what could have been done differently. So instead of feeling guilty the next next time you blow it, look at it as a learning opportunity for both you and your child.

3 comments:

Sally-Ann said...

Enjoyed your "sorry" post. I've had to apologize more times than I care to admit!! I think it is good for our children to see their parents apologizing - it teaches them that it is ok to admit you were wrong.
Like the photo! Would look great on a "I'm Sorry" card.

Unknown said...

I'll have to save the photo for future use, I'm sure. Just goes to show you that even an apology can be fun! :0D

Brody said...

I am so glad you posted this. I feel like I blew it with my 16 month old a few weeks ago by snapping at him and I did apologize to him. I don't think he understood, but it sure did make me feel better. Thanks, Aimee!! :)