Monday, April 23, 2007

GIFTS!!!!

Hopefully, you have been following along with our conversation about the Love Languages of Children. I wanted to move on today to language #4, gifts. No before you max out your credit card, let me define gift. By gift, I am referring to a meaningful expression of love that is freely given. "When a parent offers a gift if the child will clean his room, this is not a true gift but a payment for services rendered. At times parents who have every intention of offering a true gift may be sending confused messages if they ignore the child's deep emotional need for love." It's not about what you give or how much it cost. It's about the thought behind it. Be creative. For example, I have a daughter that is very interested in birds. If I stumble on a pretty feather when out for a walk, I pick it up and bring it home for her. Some of these items are her most treasured things, and they cost me nothing but my time and thoughtfulness. What are some of your most treasured gifts?

pg. 73 "The Five Love Languages of Children" by Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell

No comments: