Saturday, March 24, 2007

I Love You!


I've been reading a book called The Five Love Languages of Children by Gary Chapman and Ross Campbell, MD. I love my children dearly, but what I have taken away from this book is that my children and I do not always speak the same "language" when it comes to expressing our feelings. I'll give you an example of what I mean. I asked my daughter the other night how she knew that I loved her. He response was that I take care of her and do a lot of things for her. Her love language is acts of service. I didn't necesarrily do those things for her, to say, "I love you." I did them, because I am her mom, and that's what mom's do. But now I realize that for her, it speaks more love when I fold her clothes and put them away for her, than if I tell her how beautiful she is today or give her a kiss. Think about your own life. What has someone close to you done that has made you feel loved or unloved, for that matter? It is likely a clue to your own love language. We tend to speak our own love language to those around us and wonder why they don't understand. It would be like living in France and speaking English only. They might get some of what I said, but not the full value. I am going to be posting more about this subject in the weeks to come, and I look forward to your insights as well.

No comments: